Some individual’s swear by juicing and feel it is a fundamental element to a healthier you. With juicing you are extracting those fresh essential vitamins and minerals straight from the garden! Other’s prefer smoothies, but which is better for you? Is there a difference when it comes to your health? Both are healthy and beneficial but depending on why you are juicing or smoothying (yes made up a word) one may be better than the other.
To Juice or Not to Juice…
Juicing is the process of extracting the juice or liquid from fruits and vegetables. The peel and the pulp are the only waste. Even the skin and pulp can be used later in other recipes. There are many different types of juicers, and you can juice some produce, like lemons, by hand. Fresh juice is flavorful and nutritious. Smoothies are made in a blender. Smoothies are prepared with a base. You might use water, milk or even yogurt. Essentially there is nothing lost because other than perhaps seeds and inedible peel the entire fruit is in the drink. Generally speaking, smoothies are the better choice for increased fiber in your diet. Of course, you would have to add sugar and other unhealthy additives.
Healthy Additions to Your Diet
Both juicing and smoothies are a delicious, way to improve your health. But WHY are they good for your health.
- RDA of Fruits and Vegetables – Most people don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables in their diet. Even if you eat a fruit or veggie at each meal, you may still not be touching on the recommended daily allowance (RDA).
Juicing and smoothies both help you get your RDA in every single day. If you have one breakfast smoothie, you may easily consume four to five servings of fruits and vegetables all at once. Drinking just two smoothies or juices in a day and you can count that day an RDA success.
- More Energy – Many people feel almost instantly energized. Due to the pre-digestive nature, you can receive the nutritional benefits almost immediately.
By adding protein to your smoothies or juice then your energy will last even longer. Proteins help control the release of sugars into your blood stream.
- A Stronger Immune System – Studies have shown that people with a diet high in vegetables and fruits have a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. The antioxidants and vitamins help protect you from common viruses and infections too.
- Detoxification – Fresh juice can help flush your body of the natural toxins you’re exposed to every day.
Pesticides, herbicides, and chemical additives compromise your health and wellness. Juicing can help you cleanse your body of toxins. Finally, many people who add juicing and smoothies to their daily nutrition find that they also enjoy healthier skin, stronger hair, and improved sleep. There isn’t a downside to drinking a delicious glass of fruits and vegetables every day.
Applications & Resources
- Check out Mother Earth Living for some recipe ideas
- Go to Choose Healthy eating for Life and learn more health benefits of juicing